NRFA Data Types
The core NRFA data types are listed below. Users should note that not all data types are available for all sites. Individual station information pages on this website provide details of what data are available for each gauging station.
|Gauged Daily Flows||GDF|
|Gauged Monthly Flows||GMF|
|Naturalised Daily Flows (where available)||NDF|
|Naturalised Monthly Flows (where available)||NMF|
|Gauged Daily Runoff||GDR|
|Gauged Monthly Runoff||GMR|
|Naturalised Daily Runoff (where available)||NDR|
|Naturalised Monthly Runoff (where available)||NMR|
|Annual Maximum Flow||AMAX|
|Peaks Over Threshold||POT|
|Catchment Monthly Rainfall||CMR|
Users should note the following points which are consistent across data types:
- All river flows are in cubic metres per second (abbreviated to m3s-1 and also referred to as 'cumecs')
- All catchment rainfall is given as total rainfall in millimetres (mm) across the catchment in the given period of reference
- Runoff is expressed in millimetres (mm) and is the notional depth of water over the catchment.
NRFA Data Formats
Time series data files are available either for direct download from this website or via the manual enquiries/retrievals service. Click here for more information about manual enquiries/retrievals.
Data is normally provided in a comma separated (csv) format, comprising of a header block containing important information about the gauging station followed by the time series requested. The data are presented in two or three columns:
- The date in the format YYYY-MM-DD
- The variable value. If the variable for a particular day/month is missing then no value will be given.
- A quoted single character flag, which may have one of the following values. Where there is no flag there will be only two columns.
- "M" Missing (flow column will be blank).
- "E" Estimated
Note: AMAX and POT data are currently only available in WINFAP-FEH format.